Dear Friends –
It’s official! I filed this morning to seek re-election to the Tacoma City Council- there is too much at stake and work to be done.
Together we have made tremendous gains over the last four years and I am proud of the priorities we have collaborated on, but I know we are just getting started. Tacoma must become safer, growth must be faster and our quality of life must be protected. With your continued support, I know we can keep the pressure on for even greater change and gains in investment in critical infrastructure and core services. I believe I have the right skills, experiences, and vision to continue to fight for you, your family and for a better Tacoma to live, work and raise a family.
My family and I spent last Veterans’ Day holiday discussing the importance of service to country, the greater good, and my experiences serving in the Navy and how I could best serve our community. We all agreed my daughter’s soccer games and helping coach my son’s basketball games are extremely important and there are no shortage of school functions we will continue to attend and enjoy. They shared how cool it was as a Councilman I added more school zone beacons and crosswalk. We discussed the homelessness crisis and how it connects to both health services and property crime. Hearing my kids express excitement about Tacoma’s future keeps me driven to do this work. Knowing that they have seen some of our challenges firsthand gives me a sense of urgency in continuing to serve.
When I first was elected to the Tacoma City Council in 2013, we were still recovering fully from the Great Recession. It’s been a long road for Tacoma and I am proud of the work we have been able to do to help put our city on solid footing again. With your advice and support, I am proud to have accomplished so much:
- I sponsored the first ever Property Crimes Taskforce in 2016, requiring our City to do more to protect our City. I also added money in the budget to hire more police officers for the first time in over a decade.
- I fought to add a new fire station in the Port and to hire more firefighters. We currently have no fire stations down in the Port and Tideflats, while we used to have three. I am excited to announce that the new station will be opened as early as fall of 2017.
- I sponsored the Safe Routes to Schools initiative in Tacoma, adding over $1 million to make our school zones safer for your kids and mine.
- I worked to create Tacoma’s first-ever crosswalk program. We have added over 75 new crosswalks across the City to make it safer for pedestrians.
- I sponsored a new Sidewalk Café program to invigorate our wonderful small businesses to allow Tacomans to enjoy our wonderful scenery (and much-valued sun!). The old rules stymied businesses- since the new law passed there has been a 400 percent increase in sidewalk cafés.
I am eager to work even harder to advance good government and invest in critical and core infrastructure priorities that are necessary to address the concerns and increase the quality of life of Tacomans and their families. This will inspire greater growth in our economy and I believe we must have more jobs and greater growth.
In the coming months, I’ll be reaching out again on ways you can help the campaign. Right now, I’d love to hear from you about your thoughts and concerns for the city. As always, my door is always open and I look forward to hearing from you. It is an extreme honor to work for you and partner with you for a better Tacoma. I ask for your support and your vote. Please visit www.votethoms.org to join our Team as we keep working hard.
Tacoma City Council, Pos. 2